Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Review: CINDER



TITLE: CINDER
BY: MARISSA MEYER
SYNOPSIS:
"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."

RATING: 4.5 OUT OF 5 STARS

REVIEW:
How am I the last person on Earth to read this book?

(Obviously this is a false statement, but I’m sure you understand what I mean).

Oh yeah, because I’m a moron.

Sure it has stellar reviews, but I’m always wary. Just because more people love it than not, doesn’t mean I’ll fall in the majority. This book’s synopsis was pretty much the epitome of all things that make me wary. When I read the back of this book eons ago, I gave it one of those suspicions I-don’t-trust-you-squints, then set it back down on the shelf and backed away slowly.

First, Cinderella is one my least favorite fairy tales (second only to Sleeping Beauty). I know, *gasp* BLASPHEMER! THEY’RE CLASSICS!. Well, to each their own because, personally, I just always found it a bit boring.

Second, I’m not the biggest fan of retellings (unless it happens to be Ever After. Sigh.), so I definitely wasn’t too keen on a retelling of a fable I already could care less about.

Third, Cinderella is a cyborg. So many red flags went up in my mind. That could have easily gone wrong on so many levels. Plus, it sounded so gimmicky. Every time I saw the book cover or read “Cinder” and “cyborg” in a sentence, that movie trailer guy’s voice would pop into me head and say: IT’S THE CINDER-MINATOR!



But then it was on sale on kindle, and I caved. I figured it couldn’t hurt to check it out, especially for $2.99, and I am SO STOKED I did because, let me tell you guys, this is storybook magic right huuurr! No joke! And all the things I thought I would hate most about it (I’m also wary of stories with princes, by the way), turned out to be the same things that made me fall in love with this story and the characters.

All the characters that are meant to be extremely likable and endearing are exactly that. Then, there are the one’s who aren’t—those people are on the completely opposite side of the spectrum, and there is a special place in fictional hell for them. Also, the dialogue, so snarky and clever! The interactions between Cinder and Kai made me so giddy, I felt like Peony. Then there is Iko, the best android-bff a girl could ever ask for. Think sassy R2-D2 with a love for shoes and a need to feel human, thanks to her “faulty” personality chip. I’ve been trying to form ideas for ways I might make Siri my own little Iko. So. Freaking. Adorable!

Anyways, what I’m basically getting at is that, YES! I would most definitely recommend! Check it out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment