Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review: DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE

0

TITLE: DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE
BY: LAINI TAYLOR
SYNOPSIS:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.
When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

RATING: 5 out of 5 Stars

REVIEW:
I'll be honest...
I've seen this book around in my local bookstores for a while. I remember when I first saw it years ago. The cover stood out to me. It's all dark and mysterious and elegant...and I thought, "No doubt another insipid teen paranormal romance wrapped in pretty packaging", because I'm totally one of those people who judges a book by its cover. I'd be lying if I said I didn't. And with internal diabolical laughter, I thought, "They won't fool me this time!".

0

When this book popped up on my Goodreads recommendations list, and I saw the ratings and rave reviews from fellow GR members, I caved. And alas, I was not led astray. Laini Taylor and DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE is truly as genius as everyone claims. No question, DOSAB is one of my all-time favorite books EVER.

This exquisitely dark and entrancing fairytale seems to have been forged right out of Heaven and Hell. It's stars, and diamonds, and blood. It tastes like rich, thick heartache with an aftertaste of hope and epic love. It feels like the beginning of the Universe and the end of Everything. It is gold spun into the written word. It is my nightmare and my happy place. It is a MUST READ!

No comments:

Post a Comment